7 February 2015

5 COMMON MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT BLOGGERS

These days, everyone wants to stick their two penneth in about bloggers. It's bound to happen when just about everyone and their grandma has a blog. You put yourself out there and people have an opinion, which is only natural. Anyhoo, these are 5 of the common misconceptions I think a lot of people (myself included) come up with about us blogging folk.

1. Life is glamorous.

I guess even I think this from time to time. You see bloggers going to all these fancy-schmancy events and think life is all parties, cocktails and cupcakes with a brand name on. Yep, partly so. If it's got a mini buffet and a photo booth bloggers are going to be mad for it. I rarely get the chance to go to events, but when I do I'll definitely be overkilling it on social with glamorous pictures.  It is all rather fun, but there's a lot of completely un-glamorous stuff too. Will I be letting everyone know when I've been out taking blog pictures and stood in doggy do-do? NOPE.


2. Bloggers are all really confident.


It's not really surprising that people assume you'll be full of it when you post hundreds of pictures of yourself on the Internet being all posey-mc-poserson. Am I in real life the person I am on my blog? Probably not. In real life we're not all super confident. I used to be mega shy before blogging and I'm still hugely socially awkward (I end up swearing a lot and I mumble.. brilliant). I can't stand being the centre of attention and wouldn't want people to analyse me in real life the way they do on here, but I think the virtual world makes it a lot easier to be confident. For me, blogging was initially an easy way to have the confidence to say what I wanted to say and be who I wanted to be. Keyboard warriors are a good example.. are they going to tell you you've got crap hair in real life? Doubt it.

3. It's all about the money.

When bloggers have free makeup coming out of their armpits and enough Triangl bikinis to last them the next 10 years of holidays I can understand thinking this. Most bloggers started blogging for nothing and still continue to blog whether it's making them a huge wage or not. Yeah, it might be a nice little bonus but I'd say for the majority of bloggers it's not the be all and end all. Blogging is still my little hobby, not a way for me to be rolling about in a bed of money.


4. Blogging is easy peasy.

Ohmerrrgahhhd it ain't. The times I've spent getting annoyed that the lighting has fudged up every shot or that I'm pulling some ridonkulous goofball face that's ruined the perfect picture. It's not just a case of taking a few snaps.. there are photography problems and trying to edit things right and having broken WIFI at the end of it all. I don't want this to sound too 'First World Problems' (pop your violins away folks).. It is a lot easier when you enjoy it, but it's definitely not simple.


5. Bloggers are obsessed with appearance.

All bloggers are bothered about is lipstick and how how they look in high waisted trousers and having the perfect ombre hair style.. No. I might like a good selfie but I'm also totally okay with heading to ASDA in ugly sweatpants looking like death warmed up.


So, they're my 5 most common misconceptions. This is kind of different for me but I like this sort of chatty thing. Hopefully at least some of you out there can relate!


x
SHARE:

33 comments

  1. I love this! Your points are really insightful. I think its always important to stress these facts because a lot of people do think that blogging is easy, fame hungry people that just want free stuff x

    leannewinters.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh I love this so much I can relate to every single one of these! I get SO many people asking me "how do I become a blogger and get free things" (in those exact words!) and people assume it's so easy when it's probably the thing which takes up most of time!

    www.saltandchic.com // UK Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a great post to ready! I totally agree with everything you said, people do often assume all these things about being a blogger! xx

    Beauty Girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true cHick, great little post
    Lauren
    livinginaboxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing, literally everything I feel summed up haha! Number 4 is sooo true, people think it's taking pictures and writing. Little do they know the hours we put in shouting at computer screens because HTML codes are screwing up or a dog has photobombed a picture! Good to know you feel like this too, some people don't like to admit the hard work they put in and act like it's a breeze! xx

    ps: also nice to see a blogger who doesn't have an iphone or canon! I have a samsung camera & phone and they work brilliantly for me!

    stylepetal.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this post Lydia - it's so refreshing and spot on! Happy Saturday :-)

    Daisy x / www.daisybloomingjane.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this. So true. Definitely relatable!

    Vanessa xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really interesting post - I think a lot of people think badly of bloggers but they don't really know the full story! xx
    http://cocoamay.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my gosh is this true! ;D

    lovemadisonbailee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg this is all so true ! Thanks for clearing things out a little bit for us ... :)

    Love from France, Victoria
    http://godsaveourdressing.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I always feel like some people might judge me, I've heard people be rude about bloggers, but it is a hobby, it is fun and I have actually got a job through it!xx

    sophiespaldin.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have really touched on some great misconceptions here and very well written :)

    Hannah xx

    www.granitecitygirlblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. People tend to think all online jobs are easy but they don't require the work it goes into it. If you are blogging alone you basically become a photographer, an editor, a writer, a social media manager and many more.

    Girl Against Oleka

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is such a fantastic post! completely agree with all your points x

    frockled.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate the notion that blogging is easy, and I was someone who used to think it looked easy enough before I started.

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. so agree with this Lydia...every point is so true

    http://amelodyofdiaries.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a great post, and I agree with so many of these - we're just normal people!
    Maddy, xo // UNSTITCHEDD

    ReplyDelete
  18. Couldn't agree more with these, people defo think it's a piece of cake when in reality it's a lot of work!

    70s inspired post with some inspiration from Harry Styles! If anyone's interested-
    hailandharmony.blogspot.ie
    // BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful post lovely, definitely understand, relate and agree with all of this! <3

    * Electric Sunrise - Fashion and Lifestyle Blog *

    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this post. The points you said here are also the reasons why I don't like sharing my blog to people I really know. I've been mocked at about it while others tease me about being a "blogger". Others also ask me if I earn from it which is kind of tiring. Listening to their jokes, answering their curious and sometimes insulting questions. How I wish they could fully understand why we blog.

    xo
    Janine | Lime & Life

    ReplyDelete
  21. Agree with so much of this post!
    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE this! There are so many misconceptions about blogging and it really is hard work especially when doing it on the side of a full time job that is already overly demanding!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. great blog!!

    http://annazuerker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hahaha loved reading this... Also guilting of the sweatpants to the supermarket thing... And everywhere else for that matter! So many people judge us all as one in the same without thinking twice

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE this post - I can relate to all of them! Especially the confidence one - I'm so shy when meeting new people and the total opposite of confident so when people just presume you are because you share things online or take the odd selfie really grind my gears! Great post lovely :) xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is so true :) Have you read Zoe's book?? Is it good?? Everyone says it's amazing!! Can't wait to read it <3

    https://aspoonfulofnature.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. I completely agree with these statements and I am so shy! Ha,ha but since I started blogging it has made me come out of my comfort zone more and really boosted my confidence to strive for better things :) I love how blogging is a hobby but also fun! It is hard work but something that you enjoy xx

    www.krystelcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing post! It's so easy to make assumptions and perpetuate misconceptions about things when you don't know at least some of the details first hand. Non-bloggers usually don't see all of the little things that have come together behind the scenes to make the finished post look as put together as it does. I think the thing I've noticed the most in the past few months of blogging has been that the most perfectly effortless posts (the ones where everything comes together so seamlessly) require the most effort of them all.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This post is perfect! I've been trying to explain to my friends how hard blogging can be, especially if you have other commitments to attend to. I'm actually incredibly shy irl too >.<

    Minae | minaekei.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a fab post, I literally agree with all 5! I have to admit I'm still super jealous of full-time bloggers with the super glam insta's.. even though I know they probably spend half the week slobbing in their pjs in front go their macs.

    Made In The 1990's.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is so true!! Great post!

    Josie
    josievictoriaa.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

© Fashion Influx | UK FASHION BLOG. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig