16 January 2016

10 BLOGGING HACKS


YAY to anything that makes life easier, especially when it comes to blogging! Along the way, I've picked up a few blogging hacks to help out.. The tips & tricks below are just some of my favourites for hacking this blogging lark! 

 1. IFTTT

One I've used loads in the past. I think I found this through LLYMLRS ages ago, but it's still one of my favourite blogging hacks. IFTTT is full of 'recipes', which means you can set up actions that will occur when something happens - if you have a flick through the site you'll soon work it out. I think the most popular for bloggers is 'Post your Instagram photos as native Twitter photos', which means that when you share a picture on Instagram it will automatically post it on Twitter as a proper image, rather than the annoying Instagram link. The only thing is you have to remember to switch it off when you don't want to share something on Twitter, or if you want to use a different caption. There are loads of other really useful recipes on IFTTT, so it's worth having a browse. 

2. iPiccy

I haven't got anything too fancy when it comes to photo editing... Instead, I just use free editors online. My favourite is iPiccy, one I've used for years. It has all the editing features I need (I mostly change exposure and saturation, as well as getting rid of any 'growing a second head' pimples) and it's also really easy to work out... I know my way around Photoshop, but I definitely take the scenic route. For me, this does everything I need.

3. Tracking Codes

I use tracking codes mostly for work (social media), and when it comes to analysing results I find they're the best way to really suss things out. Basically, it sticks a little bit of code on the end of your link, which can then be tracked in Google Analytics. It's a bit fiddly at first, but once you know what you're doing they're easy. I start with URL Builder, and fill in Website URL (your blog post link), Campaign Source (which platform you're using to share the link - e.g. Facebook, Twitter), Campaign Source (if it's a link on social media, I just stick 'Social' in there) and then Campaign Name (something unique to the post - for this one, I'd go with 'blogging hacks'). Create your URL, shorten it (I use Google Shortener), then you can follow how it does over on Google Analytics. To find your tracking links on there, head to Acquisition > All Traffic > Source/Medium. Then you want to click on Secondary Dimension (above the list of data) and type Campaign, which should come up as an option. You can also search for specific campaigns in the search bar. This way, you can see all the info about any clicks on these links. Aaaand if none of this makes sense, this page explains everything in detail. 

4. Website Speed Test

Okay, so I'm crap at utilising this one, but it is useful if you want an overview. I never even thought about how long it takes a blogger's site to load until someone mentioned it to me. We've all clicked off something when it takes an image a portion at a time to reveal itself, and this is where speed testing comes in. You can find plenty of these sites via Google, which will give you an idea as to how your site is performing. Image size can be a big deal, so lowering resolution is something to think about - definitely one I need to work on! 

5. Scheduling. 

My. Bloody. Life. I feel like everything I do is scheduled, but it is one of my favourite things in blogging. With working full time, I have to get a lot of things scheduled in as I usually just don't have the chance to put things out live. For Twitter, I mostly use Tweetdeck as it's pretty basic and does all I need. Hootesuite also has an option for scheduling Instagram, although it does come up with a notification you have to click through to share it - Instagram still wants us to be 'instant'. BOO. 

Tweetdeck / Hootsuite / Buffer

6. Selfie sticks.

Errrmygaaahd I love a selfie stick. They're just so useful for blog pictures, because let's face it, our arms just aren't long enough. Maybe we'll evolve? Anyway, I think a selfie stick is one of the best blogging purchases, as they're good for more than just the posey pictures. I use mine a lot for getting shots from above, or just to make sure my hand stays steady when trying to take a fiddly photo. I recently upped my selfie stick game (lol) with a newbie that can handle the weight of my DSLR... Essentially it's a tripod that I can hold. Marvellous stuff. 

Heavy Duty Selfie Stick

7. Appropriate hashtags. 

I'm an inconsistent user of hashtags, but I do think a bit of hashtag research to find relevant ones is a good idea. I love a good flick through hashtags on Instagram, so I try to think about the ones I go for then apply that to my images, where appropriate. It's a good way to actually get some useful interaction on social, rather than it just being a quest for likes. 

8. Google Autocomplete. 

Autocomplete is the most underrated BFF any blogger can have. If you're not into the whole SEO business (it still takes me a good while to get my head around most of it), then a quick Google search can be really helpful. Seeing what Google suggests for particular search terms is a great way to get some ideas. Have a go with 'ladies outfits'... For that you get weddings, races & graduation. That's a start for some blog post ideas!

9. Mini tripods. 

Extra handy for on the go blogging, when your big old tripod really isn't going to cut it. I'm not brave enough to whip one of these out in Starbucks for the ultimate candid coffee shot, but for travel in general I find these are really useful. I've used mine on quieter streets in town for a quick shot of my shoes, and at friends' houses when I've been staying over.  

10. Whitening tools.

I wanted to save this for my updated 'How I Edit My Instagram Pictures' (it'll be up soon!), but seen as this is probably my favourite hack right now, I thought I might as well throw it in here too. I get quite a lot of questions about getting a good white background on pictures.. So, here's how. You know how teeth whitening tools on editing programs/apps that get rid of the yellow for shiny, bright white? Wham, bam, thank ya mam. The whitening tool on Facetune I use for just about all my Instagram pictures, getting rid of any yellow tones and brightening everything up. I found this tip through watching 'White Instagram Theme' videos on YouTube and have been utilising it ever since. 

 youtube / bloglovin / twitter / facebook / pinterest / tumblr instagram
x
SHARE:

30 comments

  1. that Facetune tip is pretty genius! glad I know this secret now. I also use ipiccy, so easy to use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Literally didn't know any of these tips! Deffo bookmarking this post for the future aha

    poppyrkay.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love every one of these tips! So different, thank you! xx

    Blog:: Hannah Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so fab - I definitely want to try out iPiccy now, I'm usually a fan of Picmonkey - I'm hardly a photoshop whizz either

    Steph - http://nourishmeclean.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. OHMAGAD love the whitening tool tip! going to get onto that, i never thought of it before! genius lydia!
    Happy new year too :)

    Katie x x

    www.littlekaatie.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips. I will def remember these :)

    Liv

    www.livforstyle.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice tips ! Thanks for sharing !

    GIVEAWAY ! Win a pair of POLETTE sunglasses !
    www.thecrimeofashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many great useful tips, I feel like I've learnt so much within 5 minutes!
    Charlotte // charlottespicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are super helpful tips :)

    Jess x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these tips, might definitely consider the whitening photos and the selfue stick :) x

    Millie x
    Queenmillie.Blogspot.Com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for posting these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so interesting and so useful!! Really good post! kisses:D

    http://laurasavenue.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tips, I'll definitely be saving this post and trying to work on them all!
    Maddy, xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. AH this is such a great post. I didn't know the first page but the Twitter thing really sounds good. Gotta check it out. Thank you so much for sharing these blogging hacks :)

    Love, Kerstin
    http://www.missgetaway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm definitely going to try a few of these especially IFTTT and the heavy duty selfie stick such a fab idea!!

    Shellie Skillen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for all the helpful tips, will most defiantly be using them xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a helpful post, it has helped me a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for all these tips, they're so helpful i'll defiantly be using them!


    Megan | http://megadoresbeautyx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post, such good tips that help any blogger x
    Casualyetchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. There are so many bloggers who'd want to keep these tricks to themselves, thank you so much for sharing Lydia you da best x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great tips Lydia, I've never heard of IFTTT but i've downloaded it now

    DeeDee Louise

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lydia, this post is really helpful. I'm forever trying to get a nice white background and I end up going through endless editing apps to get there. You've just convinced me to take the plunge with facetune :D

    Here's my link if you wanted to have a little nosey at my blog KatieLewLa <3 x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have just signed up to IFTTT, great suggestion! Thank you!!!

    www.georgietoms.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Lydia :)

    Love your blog, love your instagram etc! This blog post certainly helped me out. Breaking into the blogging world is something I'd like to do this year and is definitely a growing passion of mine. Also, about the scheduling if you needed a bit of help with your Instagram, check out Shedugram > http://schedugr.am/ < I find it soo good and honestly much better than the Hootsuite-Instagram option! You pay a certain amount dependent on the amount of followers you have but if you're finding you have a tight schedule, I think it is worth it :) I've used it in the past for work and it is so helpful. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just awesome hacks. Thanks for sharing.
    http://dressmecasual.blogspot.com.eg/

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is all really helpful, and a lot of things I'd never have thought of.

    I'm trying to find ways to research certain blogging aspects like hashtags and source traffic, so I'm so bookmarking this post!

    Shanelle || SLovesAutumn

    x

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is such a useful post, thank you! I will use some of these hacks at work as well as for my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous post, and awesome ideas! I'm yet to get into the selfie stick craze, but I can definitely see how it can be helpful to use bloggers. Buffer is my holy grail, not only can I schedule stuff but i also find it easy to post things to my pages in one place rather then go to twitter, fb, google+ etc. These hacks are musts!

    Sending love from asocalledbeautyblog.com <3

    ReplyDelete
  29. You've written awesome tips, thank's for that!:)
    Lot's inspiration and luck!:)
    worldventures scam

    ReplyDelete

© Fashion Influx | UK FASHION BLOG. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig