14 January 2016

EMBRACING OVERDRESSING



Scarf - Primark, Jacket - Boohoo, Jumper - Miss Selfridge, Trousers - H&M, Boots - Topshop


I've got used to the fact that generally, I turn up overdressed for most things. Even from being a kid, I liked all things matchy-matchy, and feeling like I’d really made an effort with my outfit. Being overdressed was something I used to worry about – ‘am I going to look daft in this? Are we wearing heels? I'm only wearing heels if you're wearing them’… You know the sort of thing. It’s not like I’ve been rocking up everywhere in a ball gown, I just think there’s quite a lot of negativity surrounding being overdressed, that makes us worry about it more than we need to.

So, onto embracing overdressing. Does it really bother me that much these days if I may occasionally look a tad too glammed up? Not really. Today, I just think of it as personal preference. I still like to know if there’s a rough dress code, but after that, I’ll wear what I want. I think there’s a huge difference between what’s appropriate, and what counts as overdressed… What’s appropriate I am bothered about – I’ve no intention of turning up to a funeral in the night out mini dress my Nanna tells me I’ll get frostbite in.

On the other hand, a bit of overdressing is something I am totally okay with, as the outfit I go for is what I feel most comfortable in. I usually find that’s something quite formal – I’d definitely say I’m more ‘smart’ than glamorous. The look I’m wearing here - while nothing particularly glam - is what I wore to go to Nando’s. It was only a quick trip out for lunch, but without the scarf I did feel quite dressed up. I love that Nando’s is the place you can roll up for a chicken dinner in your tracky bottoms, but that just isn’t me. I guess I just don’t find overdressing such a big deal anymore… One of the good things about getting a bit older is that the important things in life really do become obvious. While I do still have the internal ‘heels or no heels’ debate, I know that if I do decide to wear my made-by-the-Gods ASOS heels during the day, it isn’t a biggie.

  youtube / bloglovin / twitter / facebook / pinterest / tumblr instagram
x

SHARE:

15 comments

  1. Love this, I always have a little stress out wherever I'm going that I'm going to be overdressed, but I always actually feel much better in myself when I dress up a bit... who wants to be underdressed?!

    Made In The 1990s

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always overdressed! Certain clothes and shoes give you a confidence boost. I've tried to do 'casual' and it's not for me! Love your style x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely agree with this, i'm always so worried about being overdressed but realistically there's nothing wrong with making an effort x
    graciousghost.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Overdressing is definitely the to go if you ask me!
    Only downside to overdressing is that I feel I have to wear something 'out of the ordinary' when I go to special events like party's and weddings, and then I have nothing to wear because I wear my 'party wardrobe' all the time...

    -X-

    ReplyDelete
  5. love that jacket!

    www.chanellejade.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the trousers on you! xx

    fashiontatt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to always over dress when I was at school and we'd go to the cinema or something hahahah! I think I definitely go for comfort now though!

    poppyrkay.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a good post, I agree that people really do worry about overdressing, I guess I can too sometimes.

    Claudia xxx
    www.claudiagilchriest.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look amazing ! Love this outfit
    I followed your blog couple days ago on Bloglovin and I absolutely don't regret it :)

    xo.TDVR
    www.tenindvr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the power to you! And your hair looks amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love love love this outfit. The colours, the shapes, the layers, everything! I've just found out about your blog and I really like your style :)

    Mika | www.la-french-connection.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the boohoo jacket!! And I am a huge believer in overdressing, I always wear an oversized scarf everywhere, even when my friends tell me it's not that cold, but it makes me feel comfortable x

    Millie x
    Queenmillie.Blogspot.Com

    ReplyDelete
  13. AMEN to this post! I am always told I am the one who is over dressed, even on a night out and it used to really lower my confidence. It still does sometimes! I can dress quite 'formal' and tend not to wear 'skimpy' items as I just don't feel as comfortable. But I realise I shouldn't let the 'overdressed' comments get to me! I know I don't go completely over the top (I don't think 'cocktails and then decide "right, I'm going to whip out the prom dress") but I just like to make an effort FOR ME and dress in nice clothes FOR ME! and for the 'is anyone wearing heels?' debate (I have also asked that question many times), I'm completely obsessed with buying heels, so I've got to wear them sometime! x

    blog coming soon! IG laurenmichaella Twitter @laurenmblog

    ReplyDelete

© Fashion Influx | UK FASHION BLOG. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig