MY FAVOURITE BROWN/GREY TONED LIPSTICKS
I guess it’s that whole 90s vibe that’s
made me a real fan of brown & grey toned lipsticks. They’re the typical
shades that I always gravitate towards when shopping for makeup – I’ve ended up
purchasing far too many similar ones as a result. There’s no such thing as too
many lipsticks though, right?!
When it comes down to favourites, these are
the ones I really love… From lighter, grayish/brown options to the all out
dark, matte lipstick.
L'Oreal Color Riche Oud Obsession
Oud Obsession is the darkest I’ve included,
as as much as I love brown lips, I don’t know how I feel about looking like
I’ve got chocolate round my smush (I’m way too messy, so I’d probably end up
smearing it about my face). This one has more of a burnt orange shade to it
isn’t quite as cool toned as some as the others. For an evening out, I’m big on
wearing this with a softer smokey eye.
MAC Viva Glam II
If you like the idea of a grey/brown toned
lippy but you’re more comfortable in a nude, then this is a great option. It’s
the lightest of my six favourites, but on me it does have that grey/brown tinge
to it. When I’m wanting an ombre lip look (or something that makes my lips look
a bit bigger) I’ll use this on the middle of my lips with one of the darker
shades. It’s just right for that sort of combination.
MAC Stone
When I saw swatches of Stone I knew I had
to add it to my matte lipstick collection. It’s just so different to anything
I’ve got in my makeup bag – great for playing about with makeup more and trying
out a different lip. It is way more full on than the previous two, but if you
are after that true 90s looking vibe then this is a goodie!
MAC Sheer Plum (dupe, MAC Polished Up)
Wawawaaaa. This has actually been
discontinued, which sucks, as I love this shade! I’ve heard that the closest
alternative is Perfectly Polished, which does look pretty similar… It’s the
same sort of sheer brown, one that you can build up when you’re gradually
braving up to a darker lip. I love this finish for when I’m just after a quick
wash of colour.
LA Splash Cosmetics Ghoulish
Gerard Cosmetics Hydra Matte Liquid Lipstick Cher
Probably the greyest of the bunch. Again, I
really love this for mixing up my makeup with a lip that’s not my everyday sort
of look. It’s another liquid lipstick, so it also lasts really well and dries
perfectly matte.
My current most worn lip colour… I’m in
love with this one! It’s super matte, without being drying and icky, and the
shade is exactly my sort of thing. A natural tone, more of a statement than a
typical nude but not too out there that you feel like everyone is looking at
your face. If I was going to suggest buying just one of these lip options, it’d
be this one.
Swatches L-R Ghoulish, Iced Mocha, Oud Obsession, Sheer Plum, Stone, Viva Glam II
I've included two different shots of swatches below, as I find these shades can look really different depending on the lighting! The first is using a bright soft box light, the second is with the light off.
x



