4 October 2015

BLOG PICTURES: A FEW SNEAKY TRICKS

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an expert with the photography side of blogging. The opposite in fact. It's something that I end up faffing about with for ages on, and a lot of the time it'll take two attempts at shooting something before I'm okay with it. One thing I have really had to work on is finding ways to make things look good when they aren't actually that glamorous. I live in a normal 3 bed semi - it's lovely, but it's not somewhere I have a fabulous shoot space to take pictures that would be fit for a magazine, y'know? These tricks are just a few I've picked up to help out with getting snap happy. 

1. Collect together some props
I'm always on the lookout for things that can be used as props in flat lays. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just little bits and bobs that can be added in to a picture. In the past I've gone for teacups, little trinkets, fake flowers, scraps of ribbon and a whole load of other bits that I now store in a big box. It would be bloody lovely if I had one of these dressing tables with makeup neatly laid out, Instagram ready, but life (/clutter) takes over and for me it's just easier to set things up separately. 

2. Get a few backgrounds
This probably made the biggest difference to me, mainly because I don't actually have that many free surfaces. A lot of my blog pictures are done on two giant, white pieces of MDF that I keep under my bed.  They're so handy and are probably one of the best things I've bought in relation to blogging. I just pull them out and I've got a little shoot space ready to go. In the past I've also stocked up on pieces of coloured card and pretty wrapping paper, just for something a bit different to lay products out on. The same can apply for outdoors really, I'm still always hunting down perfect background to take outfit shots.

3. Rearrange
I feel like I spend half my life taking my room to bits so it looks half decent on blog pictures. I'm thinking you'll have worked out that I love a good white background with minimal fuss, but achieving that takes quite a lot of effort. I usually pile everything up behind camera so I've got my little area to take outfit pictures. While it is a bit of a pain, it's worth it to not have a stack of old magazines, shoe boxes and god knows what else lurking in my pictures. If it's in my way, I'll just rearrange, take as many pictures in one go as I can then move it back later on. 

4. Work with what you've got
Always a favourite for any sort of blogging tips. Yeah, having a whole room especially to take blog pictures is the dream, but for now, I can manage. If there's a cute road in your area where you can get a few outfit shots in then go for that, or if your kitchen has the best lighting then try that out. It's really easy to compare your pictures with other bloggers (I do, all the time), but that doesn't mean you can't still make things look nice.

5. Edit what you can
A little editing goes a long way. I'm not talking a Photoshop fail, more along the lines of brightening things up or blurring out a mark on your background. That's one I do a lot - my bedroom wall has a few marks from where old pictures were, so I always neaten them up. With editing I just think it's worth learning what you need as you go. 

youtube / bloglovin / twitter / facebook / pinterest / tumblr / instagram
x
SHARE:

20 comments

  1. Hi Lydia, These are some great tips love! I definitely implement all of these in my blog photo strategy, and I'm glad someone agrees :) Have a lovely Sunday!

    Monique | shewholives.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips, your photos are always amazing so it obviously works!

    Maddy, xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great tips.. your photography always looks incredible and your instagram feed is stunning.. just followed!! xxx

    Ciara Rose | AllureImpassionedGoddess

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you tips post, always fab! I know the clutter problem, this is my life, also dog hair in my flat lays it gets everywhere!
    Lauren
    livinginaboxx | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great tips, your photos are always lovely! Everyone's always saying how white and clean my room is but they don't see all the clutter behind the camera haha x

    Josie |Sick Chick Chic

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tips! x
    http://my--socalledlife.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  7. My bedroom is always a mess by the time I have taken my photos, it's a pain ahaha

    poppyrkay.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. I find that if I'm struggling with lighting, a marble background does wonders as the light reflecting off a white surface doesn't matter as much! x

    www.pintsizedbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing post! Learnt tons and you just reassured me I'm doing the correct thing so thank you. Check out my blog when you have time - itsherpersona.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for posting this!
    Love your blog you are so helpful!!!!

    http://textbookbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! I actually made a little wooden broad and painted it white and I use it for flat lays - my insta has changed since making it!!! But thinking of making something else as a second background option too x

    http://poundingyounghearts.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab tips! I definitely need a board for under my bed !

    http://alexinwanderlust.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely need to get some bits of card together as backdrops. I like my pictures to look clean and uncluttered, so I'm not big on props but a plain background is a must.

    Rachel | www.currentlyrachel.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this post, I have a white set of drawers that I take a lot of mine on :)

    www.lifeinthefashionlanee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are really helpful - thank you. I always struggle to find a good background and usually end up using my duvet cover or, if it's a dry and sunny day, the grass outside. It's so difficult finding the perfect spot!

    Jemima x
    anotherrantingreader.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tips Lydia, I really need one of those boxes full of props to get good Insta shots!

    Emma at www.collagemepretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tips! I definitely need to find some photogenic props around my house!

    http://www.abigailalicex.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This post is so helpful! to take close-up shots of products I've been moving my bedside table next to the window to get some decent natural light!

    Lillies and Lipbalm
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful tips, especially the one about the white pieces of MDF - absolutely genius! I'm always hunting for a white space in my room, I have a pretty dressing table however it's more of a creamy colour and I find that in photos it just looks dirty?! So instead I have to experiment with tables etc but now I'm definitely going to find a piece of MDF as I can imagine that makes life so much easier :) thanks for writing this! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a new blogger and all your posts like this are so helpful!

    www.lifeoftessalouise.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

© Fashion Influx | UK FASHION BLOG. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig