1 March 2015

MAKING YOUR BLOG LOOK PROFESSIONAL ON A BUDGET

I'm no expert on this sort of thing and I certainly won't be doing any sort of 'Blogging Tips' related posts.. I have as much idea as anyone else and I'd much rather read the posts from those of us that have actually sussed it out! I'm still more the sort that fumbles around with my DSLR trying to remember what aperture means. With blogging, this is about the only thing I think I've grasped a bit.. How to be cheap and cheerful. Typical. Admittedly, I'm pretty tight with my money. This is my little hobby and while I can't afford to be spending a huge wedge of cash on it, I also don't want it to look like a kid's school project. These are just a few things I've picked up along the way to keep the costs low.

1. Learn a bit of HTML

Knowing the basics is always handy, even if it's just how to stick the odd widget in here and there. I doubt I'll ever be a HTML expert, but I now know the bits I need to to get by & that's certainly more than I used to know before blogging. If you find it confusing, Google, Google, Google. Just about every query I've had with HTML has been answered with a quick search online. 

2. Get a blog designer/blog template

These days, getting you blog to look cool really doesn't have to cost that much. There are loads of blog designers out there doing this kind of thing for under £50 (or less). I've used Pipdig a couple of times now and always love the result. It's around £30 for a template that's a huge step up from the standard default you start with. Plus, you don't have to worry that you're going to fudge it up doing it yourself (this is me..). If you're wanting to invest a little bit of money without having to live on tomato ketchup sarnies for the rest of the month then I'd definitely recommend getting a good value blog designer involved. 

3. Utilize free editing software

I don't use any paid editing software when it comes to blogging, mostly because I've managed quite happily with the free ones available online. My favourites are iPiccy and Fotor which pretty much do everything I need them to. iPiccy is the one I use for the basic picture editing (altering brightness, cropping, admittedly removing the odd god-awful spot that's about to take over my face - that sort of thing) and Fotor comes in handy for collages. Another one I've used a lot recently is Canva - a good option for banners & images with text. 

4. Make the most of your social channels

If you spend half your life looking at stuff like Madonna hitting the deck on Twitter (that would be me.. I'm terrible, poor Madge!) then you might as well make the most of social channels while you're at it. These days I just see the likes of Instagram, Twitter & FaceyB as a little extension of my blog.. I like to keep it all consistent, with new post updates & other stuff that's relevant. Having said that I also like to tweet about Gogglebox.. Ha. 

5. Work with what you've got

I'm talking parents, a creative other half, a sibling that's in the know with graphics or maybe even your cat who takes an excellent Instagram shot. Basically anyone who is on hand to give you a bit of help when you need it. I don't have a professional photographer friend or know a whizz kid with web design but I make the most of my friends & family when I can. Since I've started blogging my mum has learnt how to use a DSLR (just about..) and my dad has come up with various bits & bobs from antiques places for me to use in the background of shots. If they're willing to give you some help, make the most of it! 

Annnd that's how I've managed so far. I still get things wrong on my blog all the time (6am write ups = typos central), but these are the things that have helped out. 

x
SHARE:

34 comments

  1. Pigdig is amazing, I use them as my template too!!

    || D I A N A ||
    www.TheNeonFactor.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed reading this post, you've got a lot of really helpful tips! I think I need to teach myself how to do HTML things! Your blog and your posts are always really well set out and look great!

    www.wewearsilver.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. some great tips here! love your blog layout :)

    Rachel // Style Soup

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this post...definitely good tips there Lydia :) thanks for sharing :)

    http://amelodyofdiaries.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so helpful! HTML tricks are so handy!
    www.trudyjohanna.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post!
    http://isthemomentsoflife.blogspot.com.es/2015/02/love-me-like-you-do.html
    xxS

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd recommend pipdig to anyone! It's amazin how a great template changes the face of your blog, and all those tumblr obsessed days in year 9 came to use finally when it came to knowing a bit of html!

    Clothing Conscious // Fashion & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips, thank you! Social media is definitely very important

    Steph - http://nourishmeclean.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips, thanks. Aways good to read posts like this, it was really helpful

    http://peachyrage.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need a new design desperately! Very tempted to go with Pipdig. Heard so many good things!

    Sarah Nunn | UK Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips, all of them are so useful!
    Maddy, xo // UNSTITCHEDD

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post and some really good tips. I use pipdig too and I love their templates x

    pintsizedbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely think blog templates are easier than paying £££ for a huge blog redesign! Lovely post x
    http://cocoamay.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found a free blog template online and the faffed about with the html (delete a widget there add one here blah blah...), and I really like how it turned out. It's a lot better than spending all that money! I know £30 isn't all that much but I still wouldn't pay that xx

    CORINNEXDAVIES

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely think learning a bit of HTML is useful! Even if you just google the code and insert it, that's what I do. Great tips! x

    www.totalmodisch.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. 100% got to work with what you have , that's what I've been trying! X

    Coffe and YSL on the blog-
    hailandharmony.blogspot.ie
    // BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tips chick, your so lucky to have such a supportive mum and dad
    Lauren
    livinginaboxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tips!! Thanks for sharing

    https://aspoonfulofnature.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Even just slight alterations and adding a personal header can really make all the difference!

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant post, thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely blog post! I'm fairly new to this as well so your tips are good! I think social media is key
    Jennaloves3.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great tips :) I knew a bit of HTML before blogging which was a huge help, but I definitely understand it better now that I'm using it more x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are great tips. A little bit of HTML can take you a long way haha!
    Elise @ Elise Dopson

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing tips! Great read will deff use a lot of this... Thank youu :-)
    ️simpleclassyandfabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love love love how you always give tips out for aspiring bloggers. Thank you so much. I always look to you for help.
    tiffsner.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the helpful tips. Such a great post! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm exactly the same! Love Pipdig they're really good, great blog post x
    Perpetualidentity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful post and well thought out! Love the information and Pipdig make such a great job with blog layouts and I always go back :) x

    www.krystelcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Really good tips that I'll learn a lot from really need to work with HTMLs more
    Thankyou!!

    dressingwithadropofvintage.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such an helpful post, it was so interesting to read it. Thank you for sharing!
    Valentina
    http://www.mybubblyzone.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for the tips, I'm enjoying your blogging series. :)

    INSIDEsai

    ReplyDelete
  32. I was lucky that I already knew HTML so I was able to create my own layout
    Reinventing Neesha ♥

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice post x

    http://www.annie97x.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just a quick question, what camera do you use? Would you recommend a good one for blogging? I don't want to splash out
    Alison | http://daintyalison.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

© Fashion Influx | UK FASHION BLOG. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig